Mid to Senior Level Public Affairs Professionals
Description of Company:
Hamilton Place Strategies (HPS) is an analytical public affairs consulting firm with offices in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, and New York City. We integrate substantive analysis with communications and believe a deep understanding of business and economics leads to more effective public engagement and better outcomes for our clients.
Summary of Position:
HPS is seeking mid to senior-level public affairs professionals to join our dynamic team. Directors at HPS lead client teams and internal projects and work in a fun, fast-paced, and challenging environment. Directors are responsible for all components of client and internal project management: strategy setting, daily client interactions, organizing teamwork internally, and guiding and mentoring associates, analysts, and interns in their work. The successful candidate will have relevant experience, be intellectually curious, eager to learn and contribute, and have an interest in public policy.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Staff Development: Lead internal skills development sessions for new hires along with day to day coaching through client work and internal projects
- Client Acquisition: Drive proposal writing process and pitch preparation and coordination, helping potential clients understand the value of the HPS team
- Policy Expertise: Inform communication and advocacy strategies with policy expertise; Understand and translate complex policy issues for policymakers and media
- Media Relations: Leverage and maintain strong relationships with key reporters, producers, etc.
- Client Service: Ensure highest quality of client service by leveraging prior experience and maintaining current knowledge base of clients’ business and industries
Distinction Between Roles:
The roles of Director, Senior Director, and Managing Director at HPS are distinguished by the type of expertise candidates bring, the years of experience they have managing multiple projects and teams of people, and whether they are able to learn and teach the HPS approach to public affairs. None of the Director-levels are expressly responsible for generating new business for the firm. Below are highlights to distinguish between the roles:
- Bachelor's Degree in Economics, Political Science/Government, Business, Journalism, Public Policy, or related field required; Master’s Degree a plus
- Professional experience in communications or policy roles in a related field: political campaign, Hill, Administration, consultancy, nonprofit or corporate enterprise (minimum number of years outlined in the above table)
- Demonstrated ability to lead, mentor, and motivate talented, high-achieving teams, empowering different types of personalities with a team-first mentality
- Expertise and interest in a specific policy field; familiarity with politics and the legislative process
- Strong analytical skills coupled with excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple, competing priorities
- Willingness to learn new skills and participate in new projects, leading by example and embracing new challenges
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite to include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience working in a client service environment
- Significant experience in conducting research and performing financial or economic analysis; in-depth knowledge of capital markets, financial institutions, asset management, hedge funds, etc.
- Significant experience working on policy issues in the tech space or financial regulatory space
- Competitive salary and compensation structure
- Excellent health care benefits, with 100% of individual employee and 50% of dependent health care premiums covered
- Competitive retirement benefits with 401(k) matching
- Twelve weeks paid parental leave
- Monthly stipend for cell phone
- Generous paid time off and holiday schedule
- Frequent firm-wide social events and activities
- Excellent environment for leadership development
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!